Happy New Year, Youthful Yogis!
As we head into 2014 I thought it might be fun to review some of what we've covered this past year in the Youthful Yogis Blog. And just to make sure everyone stays awake during this First-Annual- Youthful-Yogis-Year-End-Review, I've decided to present this information in the form of a Pop Quiz...are you ready? Let's get started!
First Annual Youthful Yogis Year End Review/ Pop Quiz Edition:
Answer the following questions. When you are done, check your responses with the answers at the bottom of the page...no peeking! Unless, of course, you stayed up past midnight and your brain is really, seriously not in working order.
|"My legs are working but my brain is out of order! "
A) a creamy, calcium rich food you can enjoy any time of day
B) a character from Star Wars
C) a way of moving our bodies and using our breath so we feel healthy and strong everyday
D) a sense of feeling connected to, not separate from, the world we live in
E) A and B
F) C and D
2) Yoga began...
A) about a year ago
B) hundreds of years ago in the part of the world that is now the country of India
C) in Canada
D) on a beach in southern California
|"Dude, I'd rather be doing yoga!"
3) Yoga poses...
A) are always difficult
B) are always easy
C) are called asanas, and there are lots to choose from
D) none of the above
|"Everything I know about yoga I learned from the Youthful Yogis Blog!"
4) Yoga is....
A) for kids
B) for grandparents
C) for babies
D) for everyone
5) Yoga breathing is called Pranayama; it can...
A) warm us up
B) cool us down
C) help us to relax
D) make us more energetic
E) all of the above
|"Can't talk now...I'm practicing Pranayama!"
6) Yoga is good for...
A) strength and flexibility
B) balance and concentration
C) bugging your little sister
D) freaking out your dad
E) A and B only
|"I am not freaking out...I am not freaking out...!"
7) Yoga is...
F) all of the above...duh!
Ok Youthful Yogis, how did you do? Let's take a look at the answers and find out!
Answers to the Youthful Yogis Year End Review Pop Quiz:
1) Yoga is not the same as yogurt, Youthful Yogis. Please do not forget that! And it is also not the same as Yoda; he's the crazy little Star Wars character who first appeared in 1980!
Yoga is...a way of moving our bodies and using our breath so we feel comfortable and connected. The correct answer is F!
2) People have been doing yoga in Canada and-of course!-on beaches in southern California for many years. But yoga actually began hundreds of years ago in the part of the world that is now the country of India. The correct answer is B
3) Yoga poses are sometimes difficult. Yoga poses are sometimes gentle, and that can make them seem easy. But yoga poses are always called asanas, and there are lots to choose from! The correct answer is C
|"I'm lovin' this!"
4) If anyone ever says you are too young, or too old, to be doing yoga, then please direct them immediately to the Youthful Yogis Blog! You heard it here, Youthful Yogis, so now it's official: a person is never too young or too old to do yoga! Yoga is for everyone and the correct answer is D
|kinda too cute for her own good
5) Yoga breathing is called Pranayama and, believe it or not, it can have the effect of warming us up, cooling us down, helping us to relax...or making us more energetic! The correct answer is E
6) I hope that yoga does not freak out your little sister. And I also hope it does not freak out your dad...but if he starts looking like Homer Simpson up there, just teach him a few of your favorite poses and I bet he'll start to relax!
By the way, yoga is good for strength, flexibility, balance and concentration: the correct answer is E
7) I'm sorry to repeat what you already know, Youthful Yogis...but here it is: yoga is twistable, stretchable, awesome, amazing, FUN!
Oh, and the correct answer is F
How'd you do on the pop quiz, Youthful Yogis? I hope it jogged your memory a little. And remember, if you want to review everything you know and share it with friends, check out the Youthful Yogis YouTube Channel. Here's a link to the story I posted on YouTube called "Yoga Is...." It's sort of where I got all the ideas for today's pop quiz! Just click on the words underneath the picture below...remember to check with a parent to make sure it's OK to visit YouTube.
That's all the time we have for now, Youthful Yogis. I have lots to do as we head into 2014 and I'm sure you do too. Remember to enjoy time with friends and family, appreciate peaceful moments and laugh and smile a lot. Oh, and do some yoga poses while you're at it!
Have a very Happy New Year!!